Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 12: Dear farmer, I am thankful for the time you take to grow my food, but what the hell is in it?


I strive to buy a lot of organic produce. I love going to farmer's markets in the summer and to local farms, buying everything so fresh you can still smell the morning dew on the produce! But now, middle of winter I depend on the health food store and supermarkets for most of it. As I walk the isles of the supermarket, I always shriek when I come to see my friend the Ginger.

Here is a photo of two gingers. One is organic, the other one is not.

Care to take a guess?





So, what is in our food anyway? When I buy ginger, I expect, just ginger, not a long list of pesticides and fungicides and god knows what else, that is making the food grow in ways nature didn't intend it to.

We live in a fast paced world, with processed foods taking a main roll in our diets. So never mind all those "extras" you were so lucky to get along with your fresh produce, now its all processed to the point of food being empty calories and a lot of health hazards. And we the consumer, just go along, uninformed, trusting it will be all good, but it is really not so rawlly good.

As a culture there is direct relationship between our food and the overall health of people in North America. It seems to me, the numbers of unwell people are on the way up, and its no synchronicity of life. It's time to take the fields back! demand organic and sustainable growing practises and move in to a more healthy future. Over the past number of years there has already been a big step in this direction. You can now buy organic food in most supermarkets, but the prices are still high. So speak out and get informed!
.
Better yet, grow your own!!! check out Square Foot Gardening .

Start sprouting!!!, check out the Sproutman.

Hit the farmer's markets, join a CSA and get to know your farmers! 
__

“Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food.” Hippocrates.
__

Morning: 3 oz wheatgrass in 8 oz of water
Mid morning: arugula, winter sprouts, pineapple, ginger, cucumber, mint, cilantro. 20 oz.
Lunch: carrot, rainbow chard, prickly pear, green grape. 20 oz.
Mid afternoon: carrot, rainbow chard, pea shoots, prickly pear, green grape, ginger. 20 oz. (it was so good I had to do it again!)
Dinner: cucumber, celery, apple, lime, coconut water, 4 oz of wheatgrass. 30 oz.
As I write tonight: cup of hot water with unpasteurized Miso.








No comments:

Post a Comment