Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 3: The journey is always about choice

The journey is always about choice. The choice to go along with it discovering yourself along the process or the choice to resist it, to fight it, to be stuck in cycles that repeat themselves until we have the awareness to move on, to choose different this time and trust, TRUST, that it will all be good. RAWlly good.

My healing journey began 15 years ago, 1997, when I graduated from the Photo Arts program at Ryerson University, in Toronto. I was burned out with Chronic Fatigue, IBS, Candida and a lack of understanding that the love I had for working in the darkroom had caused so much trouble within me. I began my tour of doctors, because back then Candida was not as well accepted as it is now, after much research and lack of medical support I turned to the natural world, I changed my diet to a whole unprocessed vegetarian diet and it did wonders for me, most things cleared away. I am not sure that it really was IBS or simply elevated food sensitivities that were causing very strong physical reactions. I wasn't a conscious vegetarian, and 8 years into it, I, whom as a child hardly ate meat, started craving barbecued meat out of all things!. I lived in the brazilian area in downtown toronto and I went with the cravings, again not realizing that there were nutritional deficiencies that were calling, yelling for my attention.

1999: Yoga came into my life.

2003: Birth of my first son. Beautiful pregnancy, fast and furious home birth attempt, my son got stuck in the birth canal and by the time we got to the hospital, here came C-Section #1. Lots of complications later, the symptomology came back and so did changes in my diet again. I did continue to eat animal protein, but started to feel the effects of the change of diet once more.

2005:  Birth of my second son, C-section #2 and a whole whack of chemicals! my body screemed for help! Exhaustion, increased food sensitivities, and the beginning of a very mysterious right side pain that no one understands but its my body's signal for not wanting specific foods. Change of diet again, started juicing often, had vegetarian and vegan periods. But I was exhausted and the right side pain, from my fingertips, to the right side of my head, to the right side of my body, got worse, constant, and unbearable.

After much testing and no answers I decided to stop relying on other people to heal me and provide the answers I was seeking. I needed to heal myself, to find out what and why things where happening, and what has unfolded is a journey, a journey back to myself, a journey that keeps changing as soon as I find that I have some firm ground to stand on.

2008: Dahnhak (Yoga) teacher's training. The more I trained, the more aware of my sensitivities I became.

2009: Birth of my third son, C-section #3 and the end of Life as I knew it.


I have been vegan for almost 4 years, Raw Vegan for 2 1/2. I resisted the change my body seeked for so long, until my bodily symptoms became too much to think I would have to live this way for the rest of my life. I began to pay attention to what was causing the pain, it became clear to me that part of the problem where more food sensitivities. I was already on a whole foods vegan diet, off wheat and all animal proteins, but it seemed obvious to me that my body was rapidly changing and my mind and the rest of me were challenging the change.

Since then its been a journey of many ups and downs, but I have discovered the wonderful world of Raw living foods and the many health benefits it brings forth. The world of optimal health as a possibility, not an abstract concept. The world of dense nutrition, enzymes, minerals, delicious foods that support me and raise me up, and wonderfully aware people who challenge themselves and the world as it is, knowing we have a deep responsability to make it better, to make it sustainable.

So here I am 2012, the year of transformation, embarking on another chapter of this journey.

__
"Be the change you want to see in this world."- Gandhi
__


Morning: 2 oz of wheatgrass in 8 oz of water
Half and hour later: collards, celery, carrot, kale, apple, lemon. 8 oz.
Mid morning: a cup of hot water with unpasteurized Miso.
Lunch: mung sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, cabbage sprouts, celery, kale, pineapple, ginger, garlic. 16 oz.
Mid afternoon: 2 oz of wheatgrass in 8 oz glass of coconut water withe lime.
Dinner: pak choi, celery, arugula, cabbage, alfalfa sprouts, cayenne pepper, orange. 8 oz.


No comments:

Post a Comment